What to do when your planned podcast recording does not happen?
- Download, unzip, double-click
- Choose to open in Automator to see just how simple it is
- I have no idea if installing right away will actually work, or if it will be stopped by sandbox security or something. I have signed the service, so it could theoretically just work
- In any case, when I saved from Automator it automatically placed the result in my services folder and all I needed to do was restart Safari to get it to show up in the Services menu (in the Safari menu)
- For even more effect, you can go into System preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts and assign - say - option-cmd-s to the service
- Hit the shortcut (or the menu option), switch to a text editor and paste
Brett Terpstra had of course created something similar already. Only that didn't seem to work for me, Safari just kept locking up. So I found this little applescript on Github, but that broke many characters because it echoed escaped text to a shell and piped it to the pasteboard shell command to copy. I looked up the applescript way to do it, altered the output to make it markdown, then googled the way to turn it into a service.
Yes, I did make a pull request for the updated script too.
Oh yes, and the final script is - suddenly - on Github, too. It is the plain script version, so it should be pastable straight into Automator or the Applescript editor or wherever else you may want it.